3.16.2009

Workin' out

So I have already stopped running since I've been pregnant, and it's amazing how quickly I feel 'out of shape.'  I am walking, on the elyptical, and stairmaster, but it's just not the same as running.  I had tried running here and there earlier in my pregnancy, but my heart rate would get too high, so I could only run for like 5 minutes.  That's no good.  It's just amazing how running works your whole body- even you arms a little bit- because you're swinging and holding them up.  Anyway, I just envy all you guys running and training for races... I'll be with ya in about 6-7 months.
Has anyone felt this?  Tonight for my workout I walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes, went on the elyptical for 30 minutes, then on the stairmaster for 15 minutes.  At the end of my elyptical workout and throughout my stairmaster- I felt pressure low in my abdomen- like my lil baby was being crunched... I didn't like that feeling or thought of what it's doing to our little guy.  I slowed down and tried to stretch out my abdomen.  Is the bouncing from the elyptical bad?  Did it make anybody feel discomfort or lower pressure?
ALSO- I am wanting to do ab workouts, but at the same time it feels like it's too much pressure on the baby when I crunch or balance and go from side to side (if that makes sense)... anyone got any tips or words of wisdom?
Finally, we will be doing something tomorrow night worthy of taking a few pictures-- a Mavs game with a few friends! Those are always fun!  I haven't posted pictures forever!  Because of that, I have posted an old pic of us when we were dating.  We often get reminded of times when we were dating, and we love it.  I would post my whole folder of pictures of us when we were dating, but ... I guess here's just one.
Going swimming at Monkey Rock
I love you baby.

6 comments:

Emily Empey said...

you are way better than me!! I never even dared to work out so i hav e no tips!!!! I would say stick to just walking though- the ellyptical might not be a good thing for the little man!

Wiseguys said...

I always got Braxton Hicks when I did a lot of working out. I'd say just take it easy. I'm all for working out, but not if it's gonna hurt you. I don't think you should worry too much about the baby, though. Unless you're jumping on a trampoline or something, he's pretty safe in there :)

Dave and Melissa Geddes said...

I went through the same thing in regards to missing the heart pounding run! Just listen to your body. You know your body better than anyone, so if you feel uncomfortable, don't do it. Walking is always safe and I loved swimming, because I actually felt light when I was in the water!

Anjeanette said...

It's fine for you to work out. He is like a tiny golf ball floating in fluid. It's pretty hard to hurt him at this point. I have heard there are certain ab workouts you can do while pregnant, but only a few, and instructed by a trainer.....I would just stay clear of working my abs right now....ok Abbs?? :) You will have plenty of time to get back in shape after he comes. Just enjoy your pregnancy, and stop worrying so much about your growing body. You will look great. :)

Anna@Exasperation said...

For ab workouts they just say not to do anything on your back after about 16-18 weeks. So that means you. But Sarah is right. You can't do much to hurt the little guy. There's a ton of cushioning in there for him. For YOU, though, feel free to take it a little easy if you don't feel comfortable with how you're body is reacting. Working out is great - do it as long as you can. It made me feel better when I did and I truly think I bounced back more quickly when I did. But follow your instinct. If something doesn't feel good don't do it.
I have a great book called "How to Lose your Mummy Tummy" and it has some good pregnancy ab exercises in it if you want to borrow it:)

Jill and Ryan said...

Try walking on the treadmill on a an incline. You are not working as hard as running, but you are still getting a great cardiovascular workout. I also did the eliptical up to about five months, and then it hurt my belly b/c it bounced so much. You can always get one of those belly bands to help your support your belly when working out. Just to let you know I have already lost forty pounds since I have had my baby, so you will lose the weight fast. However, I still have 25 to go, b/c I gained sooo much weight. LOL. But you will have the baby and be back in shape in no time.