Today, a few childhood memories crossed my mind that made me smile. The past few weeks I've been wanting to get some books to read and keep my mind going. I've looked at a couple different stores and then finally decided I'm just going to go to the public library, apply for a card and check out books whenever I want to. What a grand idea! That made me think of when I was young, myself and my older brothers and sisters would go to our local library all the time- at least once a week it seemed like. We would walk over there- which was probably 1.5-2 miles away, or we'd ride our bikes. We would sometimes spend hours there just reading and getting on the awesome computers-- the old school ones. Good ol' Ada County Public Library. Once we were done, we'd stop by Maverick gas station across the intersection and buy a bag of Big League gum, a King Size candy bar, if we had enough change or just settle for some 5 cent candy. Then we'd be back on our way home with our books and candy. As we got older, my mom had us read 1-2 hours every day in the summertime. We had to read that long every day, plus our chores that were assigned to us before we could go hang out with friends, or shop or play.
Another memory I was reminiscing a little about with my co-worker was our home in Boise. I grew up with a cow, Bessie, chickens, a goat at one point, several different dogs (who all died), fresh raspberries and blackberries, apples, a grape harbor, a huge treehouse with rope swings, a tire swing, a larger than life sandbox, a basketball hoop, horses in a pasture across the street, a MEAN dog next door, customized stepping stones with all of our handprints and initials in them, and a zip line-- ALL at one home! I never had to milk our cow much, but it was milked by my siblings morning and evening. I did however collect the eggs from the chicken coup a lot!

We also had to pick berries and be pricked by the thorns. I'd end up eating a handful or two before they actually got to my mother's hands inside.
Pickin me some raspberries bare-foot.

We were in the berries and fell, but we thought it was blood!

Just thinking about how I grew up is kind of amazing to me because it is SO much different than what it's like now. We had our own milk, cream, eggs, and berries. We had to work a lot outside, but I think we all grew a lot and learned how to work hard. We didn't always have the newest and best things at our home, but I didn't know any better. We were still happy. I just see kids and teenagers now and how spoiled and ungrateful they can be. They don't have to work to get what they want, but everything is handed to them.
Helping Mom can green beans

I appreciate now that my mom made us read lots and made me practice the piano and made me work outside and made me listen to her. She always said "It builds character" and I believe it. With the luxuries we can have in our homes and the way things are made to be easier, it's easy to get lazy. I don't want to get lazy. I want my children to have opportunities to learn how to work and to sacrifice and to stimulate their imagination and minds. Hmm... I could keep going, but I've realized how much I'm rambling. I guess the main point here is that I'm just grateful for how I was raised and the fond memories I have from childhood. Thank you Mom & Pop!! Paxton will attest to this, that I sometimes wish I was little again so I didn't have the stress, worries, and responsibilities of an adult. Haha.. I guess I am such a kid at heart. That's probably why I love little kids so much.
Here's few more childhood pics for kicks.
Camping at McCall- me with my jelly shoes- remember those?! ha

My awesome hand-me-down clothes.. I think I really liked that strawberry shirt though.

6 comments:
You were such a cute little girl! I agree, kids these days really need to learn how to work and accomplish things themselves! Jared and I are also both grateful that our partents made us work for things when we were little.
You were such a cute little girl. You and Paxton are going to have the cutest baby!
I love jelly shoes...hmmm I wonder if I could still get myself a pair.
BAH HA HA HA
Ab you are so cute.
I love this post....I think you had a great childhood, more kids should have one like yours.....and you were such a cute little girl,,,and still are!!!! love ya.
You look just the same! What a darling little girl!
Post a Comment