7.15.2008

Meat or No Meat

So for the next month starting  yesterday, I have decided to accept the challenge of eating NO MEAT.  My health & fitness guru friend Kelly has put anyone & everyone up to this challenge, and I quickly accepted.  She wants to see if there are any significant differences with a 'No Meat' diet.  It's not a full vegan diet with no dairy nor meat, so i can still have my  yogurt parfaits. :)  It's interesting to see how much meat I normally would eat in my diet.  It wasn't a whole lot, but now that I am restricting myself from all meat, I have noticed when I would normally choose to eat a little ham, tuna, or chicken.  I am excited to see the changes in how I feel, my energy level, and any other differences in my body.  Because of my recent and temporary change in diet, I am looking into different meals to serve.  Tonight I am going to make Tabouli.  Pax & I first tried it at a dinner we were invited to from a couple in our ward.  It's an Israeli meal with bulgar wheat, parsley, mint, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, green onion, tomatoes, & cucumber.  Once I try it out tonight, and if it's successful, I'll post the recipe.  It is DE-LISH-OUS
Anyway, here are my tomato plants and to the left are my green beans.  The tomato plants smell good- like tomatoes may actually come from it, so I'm just waiting and watering and waiting and watering more.  How fun.  Then the poor green beans- I've stabilized it with string so they don't fall over.  They don't seem to be growing much more.  I think birds or bugs are eating the green beans.  I don't know what to do.  I didn't even take a picture of my poor spinach.  They're still just little sprouts.  I think I may have planted them too late in the season.  At least my tomatoes are taking off!   

I just recently finished New Moon-- well almost. I have the last epilogue left, which I will finish tonight.  But now I'm looking for anyone that has the 3rd book Eclipse.... so if anyone is willing to lend it for a little while... I would love you!
And last but certainly not least- I ran my fastest mile today! Yipeee!  But let me just precede with a little story.  So last Saturday Paxton & I ran the bleachers at the Hebron H.S. stadium.  I think I ran up & down 7 times- across the whole bleachers.  Anyway, I was still feeling really good, not really phased by it, so I ran a 'snake.'  I don't know what else you call it, but it's where you run up & down the 5 yard lines across the whole football field.  I did that once, stretched and we went home.  I wasn't feeling sore that whole day, but Paxton was already sore by mid-day.  The next morning, I woke up with really sore calves and quads.  Pax & I could barely walk around normal.  It was ridiculous.  And that soreness continued on through Monday as well, so sadly I didn't get a run in.  Come Tuesday morning, I am pumped, feeling a little sore, but ready to get a good long run in.  So this is where my record fastest mile comes in.  I ran almost 5 miles with my first mile being at a pace of 6:07.  Yay! I was super excited.  I believe the bleacher workout strengthened my muscles, helping me run faster.  I will always be grateful to Kelly for teaching me those sweet track workouts.  I'm for sure keeping those up.  I just need to brush up on those few yoga poses you taught me.  Yeah- I can't remember any of them really.  
Ok, see ya for now.

7 comments:

Jeni said...

alright ms. abby.... text me tomorrow and I will bring you my book to borrow. but text me so I wont forget.
ALSO so I dont forget, can someone come out and spray for us? I keep finding spiders.
NOW on a more important note, You pump me up to run again! You go girl, good for you on the bleachers!

Streett's said...

I am so amazed by you! Gardening, Running! You have motivated me to give running a shot! :)

Wiseguys said...

I'm proud of you for doing the no meat thing. I was thinking about it, but changing my entire meal scheme is just not in the cards right now. You'll have to let me know how it goes and if it makes a difference.

Auntie Lolo said...

Another name for Snakes is "Suicides" = so named because they are usually the last thing your coach makes you do on a particularly hot day. If you want to see how tough you are, run one as fast as you can after a hard work out in 100º heat. MISERABLE!!!

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

I am impressed with your garden, You'll have to let me know how they turn out, I looooove home grown tomatoes, maybe you can help me develop a green thumb too!

Kelly said...

well you got me in the mood to do some bleachers...my quads are sore! Let me know if that recipe is good, email and I'll post it on the site. ...you're so cool...and can't belive you guys slept on the tramp!

Kelly said...

oh, I put up some yoga sequences on the site...just go to tabs and yoga...yogajournal.com rocks too!