1.18.2008

Homemade Applesauce

For Christmas my mom gave me a homemade applesauce maker and a Home Canning Basics Kit which was supposed to include this huge pot, jar holder, jars, jar remover, a recipe-type book, and a few other things.  When I go to open the kit box, all that was in there was the pot and the wire jar holder!!!  I actually didn't realize anything else was supposed to be in there, until i talked to my mom during the applesauce making process.  She told me to use the jar remover thing, and I didn't have it!  That's when I found out mostly everything else was missing!  So weird.  She bought it new at the store--- how can it be missing?  We still haven't figured it out, but I still went ahead a made the applesauce.  I improvised by using hot dog tongs and plastic salad tongs to get the jars out of the hot water.  It still worked.  Anyway, I made applesauce last Saturday.  I have 13 little jars of applesauce and 1 tupperware full ... well now it's almost gone. It's just SO YUMMY!  We experimented with a few batches and added cinnamon!  Yummmmm! But no sugar was added, which is a plus.  It really makes a good sweet to eat after meals- ya know- because you always have to end with something sweet!    

Here's the cool applesauce maker.  You put the boiled, soft apples in the top and turn the handle on the side.  Applesauce oozes out while the peel, core, and seeds come out the end!!  It really is amazing.  And FUN!  I asked Pax if he would help me cut the apples b/c we had like 40 apples.  And he wasn't too willing because it was "my project", but once I got to grinding the apples in this machine, he was more than willing.  I just reminded him it was "my project", so he didn't get to do it that much.  I let him try it out and see how much fun I was having.  hehe
Aaaaaaand, the final product!  I think I can do this every year.  For sure!

9 comments:

Jeni said...

yum, abby we need to have a canning day... we will go to the farmers market and get some peaches and pears and some yummy things, maybe cherries and can them all one day.. that would be so fun! I have a canner too so we could really get alot done!

Stephanie said...

That looks so yummy! Oh, I love the new pictures of you and Paxton at the top of your blog. It's been to long since I've seen you! Steph Bean

Kim said...

Wow! So cool! I wish I were more domestic! I also love the new blog look and the cute picture at the top. Way to go for being so cute!

The Ling Blings said...

Yummy! Katie loves applesauce....maybe I should learn how to do it too!

Wiseguys said...

That's so cool that you made applesauce. My mom used to make it and it was sooo good.

Kelly said...

way to go...I used to do it growing up, but now it's one of those things I'm scared to do without my mom! ha! plus I'd need that super cool kit!

Haylee said...

YUmmy yummy. You are such a homemaker! That is funny about Pax... that is something Justin would TOTALLY do! Looks delish... in fact I want some NOW! :)

Cade & Analissa said...

Oh my gosh -- yum! That looks SO fun! I've never had homemade apple sauce! I wanna make it too! P.S. -- love the new look on the blog! Nice work! How did you do all that? The pictures of you and Paxton are gorgeous!

YaYa said...

looks very good......where's my jar?????