Over Memorial Day weekend, we traveled to Louisiana to visit Pop! We had a good time swimming at the pool, eating out, and just playing at Pop's house.
For awhile I've been wanting to take Ty's pacifier away. He has gotten so addicted to it, asking for it all day, and needing it constantly. I got sick of it. I knew each time I gave it to him, it was making it that much harder for him to give up. So yesterday, we finally got rid of it. Ty is obsessed with garbage trucks and anything to do with them. So I decided to have Ty give the garbage man his pacifier. Tuesday is garbage days, so we waited outside for them to come. We had his paci in a plastic bag ready to throw in the truck. After an hour of waiting, we went back inside and played for about 15 minutes. I heard the truck coming, so I quickly grabbed Ty and his paci and we ran up to the garbage man. We waved to the driver, and went to the guy in the back and told him we wanted to throw his pacifier away. He asked if Ty wanted to throw it in there. Of course he did, so he threw it in! Once the truck moved forward to another house, Ty realized that his paci was in there and started getting mad. He started crying, reaching for the truck, and asking for his paci. I kept explaining to him that it's in the garbage truck, the garbage man needs it and will take good care of it, he is a big boy who doesn't need a paci anymore, and all these things to calm him down. We watched the truck go all the way down the alley, while he was still throwing a little tantrum and just sad that couldn't have his pacifier. To get his mind off of it, we went inside and watched Cars.
This is the second day now, and he has only asked for it a few times, and only had 2 tantrums. It happened both times in the car, since he usually asks for it then. It's amazing how much older he looks now without a paci. He is going through a little growth spurt, and just has gotten so big. He doesn't look like a baby anymore, but a little boy.. if that makes sense. He has been so sweet lately too. I just can't believe he will be 2 in 2 months!
I also took the pacifier away from Emery yesterday. It was a lot easier to take it away from her, and she has done great without it! She didn't rely on it as much as Ty. I'm glad I did it earlier like this, so she didn't get attached to it.
I am loving not having to keep track of 2 pacifiers everywhere I go. It's so great!
5 comments:
Yay for Ty! The paci is GREAT for the first 6 months, but then not so much. He's getting so big!
Good for you! I took Mack's away during the day when she turned 1 but she still gets them at night. I am debating getting rid of them, but she is sleeping so well... We will have to see.
Go you!! I loved the garbage truck idea!!
That is so fun you had him throw it in the garbage truck. I'm debating if I should take Maven's away now before he gets attached.
Aww, I love the story! I think it was a great idea to get rid of Emery's at the same time. That way, you won't have to worry about it later on with her and you won't have Ty asking why she gets to keep hers and/or trying to steal it :) I took Brendan's away at 5 months because I thought it was keeping him from sleeping well (he would cry when it fell out of his mouth) and I plan on doing the same thing with Griffin.
Post a Comment