10.22.2008

Camping


Last weekend was our little camping trip to Mexia(Meh-hay-ya), TX.  We met up with a couple friends- Jake, Kelly & kids.  It was fun to get out and enjoy cold mornings with mexican hot chocolate, tin foil dinner, s'mores, and long talks by the camp fire.  Yum.  Thanks J & K for making this happen- it was tons of fun.  Hopefully we can get more people out next time- it'd be a blast to have a big group! 
 
We were in town and asked two different people how to pronounce the name of the city, Mexia.  A white older woman said "Meh-hay-ya" and a Latino guy said "Meh-hee-ya"... so who knows how to say it...but it was a very friendly little town.

We tried going on a 'hike' but there are no mountains nor hills even!  I also was a little nervous to go camping in Texas because I didn't know what kinds of bugs to expect.  The only thing I saw were mosquitos (which attacked my left ankle for some reason. i guess i missed that ankle when i was bug spraying), and gigantic daddy long legs!  Wow they were huge and they were all over on the outside of our tents.   Eww sick.  There was a lake there, but Pax was the only brave one to swim in it- for several reasons.  First- the lake looked pretty dirty and gross, and there were two huge signs that said ''Caution: Alligators in lake'', and ''Caution: Snakes in lake'' or something to that effect.  Yeah- very brave.





Yesterday I got my pedicure, which felt amazing and looks amazing.  They always do such a good job, but I always notice the girls giving the pedicures ask their customers if they want another service, trying to get more money out of us - ya know.  So, they asked Ann and Heather if they wanted a manicure, or little upgrades on their pedicures, and then they asked me if I wanted my eyebrows waxed.  Why do they always ask me if I want my eyebrows waxed???? And they ask NO ONE ELSE! They asked me last time I was there too.  And the lady that asked me this time wasn't even the one giving me a pedi, she was doing Ann's pedi.  Do they look THAT bad that you notice them clear across the room? Sheesh people! I know they can get a little funky but not that bad right? 

I actually just got them done at an Indian salon in Irving called Styles of India.  She threaded my eyebrows and my upper lip. OUCH!  She said that it hurts the worst when you do it for the first time, but every time after it gets easier to tolerate.  It's true. This was my second time to do my brows and lip.  My brows really didn't hurt at all; just felt like regular plucking.  My lip didn't hurt as bad as the first either, although it definitely still made tears roll down my face.  It was funny because when she got done, she gave me a mirror to look at myself and make sure everything looked alright.  When I looked at myself, I kinda laughed because I looked horrible.  It looked like I had just gotten punched in the face.  My eyes were red, tears rolling down my face, my lip was red, and my hair was CRAZY from the pouring rain that hit as I was getting out of the car to go in the salon.  haha.  Very funny.  So, great experience with threading.  I recommend doing it if anyone is thinking about it.  There is no rash that you may possibly get from waxing.  Just slight redness that lasts a couple hours. And they threaded surprisingly fast.  I was in and out in 10 minutes.
We've got Paxton's family's pumpkin carving contest this Friday night.  We'll see who the winner is this year! Wish me luck...

5 comments:

Jana said...

How fun! We are going camping this weekend and are super stoked. It will be the first with the baby! Also I have never had my eyebrows waxed or threaded. Maybe I should try it!

Jeni said...

hahahahahhahahahhahaha I LOVE that they ask you about your eyebrows hahahahah. ok confession they asked me last time I was in if I wanted mine done. my response "no thanks I am growing them out"

The Madsen's said...

Hey abby! I found your blog through Hilary's. You look awesome and congrats on the half marathon, thats great.

Anjeanette said...

Camping looks fun. That is crazy Paxton went swimming (with gators), Nathan will be proud. :) Man, you are brave to do the threading. I tried it once and cried like a baby....sheesh that hurts. I am too chicken to try it EVER again. I will stick to plucking, thank you!

Luke and Linds said...

Hey Abby! of course I remember you, didn't we call the temples and schedual marriage dates before we were even engaged? Looks like you and Paxton are having lots of fun!It gets harder to vacation with a baby, but it makes life so wonderful at the same time! It's good to hear from you, I'll have to add ya to my blog!